.The 12th biennial Conference on Communication and the Environment (COCE) will take place in Uppsala (Sweden) on 2013 June 6th to 10th and its theme is Environmental Communication: Participation Revisited: openings and closures for deliberations on the commons.
The call for papers, panels and posters is open. Some of the main fields have to be related to questions such as:
- How do communication and politics interact to open and close opportunities for citizen participation?
- How do various cultural models of participation open and close possibilities for sustainability?
- How do place-based understandings of landscapes open and close options for participatory management of the commons?
- How does relative emphasis on the labels ‘citizen’ and ‘stakeholder’ influence the significance of participation?
- How do new media open and/or close opportunities for public participation?
- How does the frame of deliberation constrain participation opportunities?
- How do people determine what counts as legitimate participation, and who decides?
- How have we re-imagined the concept of the commons?
The deadline for submission is September 15 2012 and you can take a look at the guidelines here. For further details about the call you can contact one of the following via email: Hanna Bergea, Andrea Feldpausch-Parker, Tarla Rai Peterson or Kaisa Raitio.
The COCE 2013 will be held at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) and is being co-hosted by the Division of Environmental Communication at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala University’s Center for Sustainable Development (CSD) and the Cemus Research Forum(CEFO).