.International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is looking for a Communications Specialist and Press Officer with a passion for science communication to help maximize the reach of IIASA’s research and to develop and implement communication strategies that support the communication efforts of scientists and enhance IIASA’s profile in the media.
• Develop and execute communication plans with the Head of Communications and/or research teams at Project, Program or Institute level;
• Develop and deliver IIASA’s media strategy with the objective of increasing positive media coverage about IIASA in local, national, and international media;
• Manage IIASA’s Press Office and press conferences, work proactively to the international news agenda, rapidly respond to press enquiries, initiate new press contacts and manage database of press contacts, all to cultivate excellent working relationships with the media;
• Develop, write and pitch op-eds and science news releases with a high degree of scientific accuracy and in journalistic style;
• Write material for press office (fact sheets, biographies etc.), articles for the Web Site, IIASA magazine, etc;
• Support the press activities of IIASA’s National Member Organizations (NMOs) with materials, and other activities that help facilitate improved information flow to NMOs;
• Develop and implement diverse communications activities ranging from publications to multimedia to social media;
• Cultivate excellent working relationships with IIASA scientists and support their dissemination efforts through offering professional communication advice, and organization of media training.
• University degree or comparable experience;
• Excellent science writing skills and proven ability to present complex science information to a non-specialist audience;
• At least five years experience as a professional journalist or press officer; alternatively at least five years experience as a scientist communicating complex research to lay audiences;
• Demonstrated understanding of media relations;
• Proven ability in successfully implementing communications activities across a wide range of channels;
• Native English speaker;
• Proven excellent computer skills, with proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team and to maintain professional and productive relationships with scientists and staff from diverse nationalities.
Terms of employment:
• An initial contract of one year with the possibility of extension thereafter.
• Competitive compensation and benefits package including moving allowances and home leave.
• Salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria, but subject to the principle of income aggregation.
• Preference will be given to applicants who are nationals of IIASA member countries.
Deadline for receipt applications is 29 February 2012 and you can contact Iain Stewart for information about this position and IIASA’s Communications Department.
To apply send a cover letter, resume, two recent examples of successful communication activity (e.g. press release and resulting coverage/outcome or YouTube video and resulting views or similar) plus names, addresses, e-mail and telephone numbers of three work-related references per email to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Officer, IIASA.
Este blog cuenta con la financiación de la Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología (FECYT) y el Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades