The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is a global science and engineering project led by the SKA Organisation, a not-for-profit company established in December 2011 with its headquarters at Jodrell Bank Observatory, Cheshire, near Manchester, UK.
SKA organisation is searching for a Deputy Communications and Outreach Manager who will support the Communications and Outreach Manager in the development and implementation of the SKA global communication and outreach strategy.
Main Responsibilities, Tasks and Duties:
- Act as the Communications and Outreach Manager’s representative as and when requested by the latter (this includes authority in approval processes)
- Provide assistance and advice to the Communications and Outreach Manager in the implementation of the global communication and outreach strategy and in the development of the Communications and Outreach Office.
- Be the vice-chair of the SKACOWG and SKACON groups
- Manage projects related to the implementation of the global communication and outreach strategy as defined by the Communications and Outreach Manager
- When requested, supervise staff and/or external contractors for the design and production of materials
- Proactively liaise with media and pitch the SKA to relevant broadcasters, printed newspapers/magazines and radio stations around the world.
- Prepare written material for internal and external purposes such as press releases, announcements, briefing notes, newsletters contents, internet content, etc.
- Update the SKA website and other multimedia platforms
- Assist in coordinating international SKA presence at events and in organizing/sponsoring public events
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- University degree or equivalent
- High quality in written science communication targeting diverse audiences, such as the media, general public, or policy-makers;
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with international media;
- Demonstrated experience of working in an international and multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Demonstrated experience of working with a broad range of stakeholders
- Proven ability to deliver results within tight deadlines;
- A flexible, hands-on attitude, and a willingness and proven ability to accept responsibility and manage your own workload;
- Excellent communication, proof-reading and interpersonal skills, with a high standard of spoken and written English;
- Experience in astronomy and knowledge of radio astronomy
- Willingness to travel and work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends.
More information about the position and how to apply here
Closing date is 27th November 2013
For any query about the position contact William Garnier, Communications and Outreach Manager, at his email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SKA will be the world’s largest and most sensitive radio telescope that will play a major role in answering key questions in modern astrophysics and cosmology. Its construction is scheduled to start in 2016.