The European Laboratory for Particle Physics, CERN, is an Intergovernmental Organization with 21 Member States, and its mission is to study the fundamental constituents of matter and other elementary particles using high-energy accelerators. CERN laboratory, based in Geneva (Switzerland), currently operates the most powerful accelerator in the world, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
CERN is seeking to recruit a Head of Education, Communications and Outreach for a 5-year period, from 1 April 2016 until 31 December 2020. The main role of the candidate will be to report to the Director for International Relations, to head the Education, Communications and Outreach Group and to play a leading role in conceptualizing, designing and executing the Organization’s strategy in the field of internal and external communications, education and outreach. Deadline to send applications is 26 January 2016.
- Advising and assisting the CERN Directorate in strategic communications, education and outreach matters.
- Serving as chief public relations officer.
- Fostering interest and support for the Organization and its mission through strategic planning and achievement
- Setting strategic objectives and work plans, and supervising their implementation, for:
- Communications activities and campaigns to address a broad spectrum of audiences
- Educational and outreach activities
- Creating and maintaining a network of high-level communications contacts with media outlets, governmental agencies, international organizations and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensuring ongoing evaluation of impact of communications and education activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in the field of Public Information, Communications or Science Journalism (or equivalent).
- A Master’s degree in a scientific or engineering subject would be a distinct asset.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English,
- Very good level of spoken and written French
- Ability to understand and speak other Member State languages would be an asset.
- Significant experience in a senior management position in the fields of communications, scientific education and outreach, preferably in an international environment.
- Extensive experience in strategic planning for education, communications and outreach activities, and in supervising implementation of communications and education plans.
- Deep knowledge of the international media landscape and its channels (online and offline)
Skills and aptitudes
- Communicating effectively: selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience
- Creating vision and Strategic partnerships: valuing the general public’s understanding of CERN goals and taking every opportunity to explain its mission.
- Leading with strength and credibility: conveying and instilling energy, enthusiasm and ownership of CERN goals
- Bringing the best out of people: being approachable and available to team members; promoting team interests.
Applications from all Member States residents are welcome, regardless of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Este blog cuenta con la colaboración de la Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología – Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación