Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona) is an independent, non-profit research institution engaged in basic and applied biomedical science that aims to improve quality of life by applying advances in this field. It was created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya and Universitat de Barcelona. Currently IRB has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world. Now IRB Barcelona is seeking for a Public Engagement & Education Officer.
Main task will be to develop and deliver scientific education and outreach programmes and activities based on the research conducted at the Institute. The post-holder will join the Office of Communications and External Relations, whose mandate includes promoting public awareness of biomedical research and its impact on society, and developing and contributing to effective education programmes to ensure the next generation of talented researchers in the biomedical sciences.
- Help design and implement the Institute’s overall strategy for outreach and education activities.
- Coordinate and develop existing programmes,
- Collaborate with the Parc Científic de Barcelona’s Research in Society Programme and coordinate IRB Barcelona scientists’ participation in these activities.
- Generate and evaluate ideas for new projects to engage a variety non-specialist audience.
- Coordinate funding applications to various public and private agencies to provide continuity and expand outreach and education activities.
- Contribute to and support other communication activities within OCER as needed.
Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- A PhD degree in the natural sciences, preferably in the life sciences (required).
- A relevant qualification in science communication (desirable).
- 2-3 years experience in devising and delivering outreach and education activities within a scientific environment.
- Strong communication, writing and presentation skills. Ability to produce engaging content.
- Knowledge of publishing techniques for web and print. Familiarity with social media tools.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Solid command of written and spoken English, Spanish and Catalan.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
Candidates should apply by sending a CV, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject “Ref: AD/15/06” by December 18th. This position requires some weekend work related to the Crazy About Biomedicine and teachers workshop programmes.
Este blog cuenta con la colaboración de la Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología – Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación